Monday, July 14, 2008

I must be insane

So, Shawn left for California, and what do I do???? I leave a few days later, with the kids. Although I did have a few worries about the logistics of it all I took the kids to California...by myself. I could handle it.

Well, when I was getting ready to leave the house with our 2 yr old and 2 1/2 month old I started getting nervous...this wasn't going to be a picnic. But, to my rescue, Michelle came by and offered to take us to the airport! Thank you. She couldn't believe I was doing this by myself.

We get to the airport, checking in curbside...easy. Well, we had too much luggage (3 bags), so please pay $25. Okay, here's my card (please hurry). Sammy in Stroller, car seat in Reece's side and Reece in the baby bjorn. Guy comes back with card,

"umm Samuel can have 3 bags, so I shouldn't have charged you $25." (Why can Sammy have 3 bags?? He used Shawn's sky miles)

"Okay, just credit my card back."

"Oh I don't know how to do that, your going to have to go inside to customer service and take care of that." I give him the look like "you've got to be kidding me."

In the mean time, Michelle is leaning over Sammy, so I look down at him and he has just thrown up. Really. I turn to the guy, ready to tell him that he can just keep the $25, and he just simply says that he'll figure it out, and will be right back. Thank you sir.

So I get Sammy figured out (I'm hoping), and get all my stuff together...which is WAY tooo much, thank Michelle (who thinks I'm insane at this point), and wait for the bag checker guy. Finally, card credited, and off to try and make my flight. People are staring at me, the crazy lady with the double stroller with Sammy, his car seat that keeps falling on Sam, diaper bag and sammy's backpack, with me and Reece in the baby bjorn and a backpack....totally sweating (gross, I know).
Going through security was a drawn out affair, with people trying to help, and with security going through every bag I have (aparently mom's with 2 screaming kids are a security threat). Sam refusing to walk through the security thing without me, and I cant take him because I already am holding Reece. So I have to go through and tell him that I'll just have to leave without him. Then he comes screaming and crying, how could his mother betray him like so! Then he wont let go of me, even though I'm holding up the line. So I just throw everything into the stroller and find a spot where I can reorganize...which takes about 15 minutes. About 5 moms walk by with looks of sympathy.

Well a really nice lady helped me with all of our stuff and Sammy's car seat onto the airplane...thank you. I get Sam in his seat, bags up top and am about to seat myself when the stewardess tells me that I cannot sit on this side with and infant in arms and we will have to move...nice if you could have informed me before we got situated. So we move....could be worse, right?

The flight itself was pretty good. I brought lots of stuff for Sammy to do, and lots of snacks and treats, and bottles for Reece. She slept most the flight. The only hard part is that Sammy wouldn't stop kicking the seat in front of him. I am so sorry dear sir. And what a mess...sorry flight clean-up crew.

So, we finally land and Sammy has just fallen asleep. Well, remember the nice lady who helped me on the plane? This sweet tiny lady who apparently has superhuman strength picks up Sammy - in his car seat, and proceeds to carry him off the plane. Are you kidding me? Thank you.

We get our stroller, load up, and head to baggage claim. How in the world am I going to pull this off? Well I get our luggage on a cart and stroller and walk the 15 feet to the rental car place.

Well to wrap this little adventure up, the rent-a-car lady obviously sees my state of need,or stupidity, and upgrades me to a minivan (ha ha Shawn), and closes her window...with only one other window open and about 5 people in line. She comes from behind the counter and says that she needs a break anyway, and my car is about a 1/4 mile away. Bless this woman, she pushed my luggage to the car. Thank you.

Then off in rush hour traffic, from Burbank Airport to Glendora...with 2 screaming kids. Both hungry, I give Sammy like 57 bags of fruit snacks...and pray that Reecey will fall asleep, all the while looking for a SAFE place to stop. Didn't happen until we actually get to Glendora, about an hour later. Both kids upset, I drive through Carls's Jr, get sammy fries and water for a bottle, and pull over to get situated. Both kids are soaked...and I wonder, What kind of mother am I??? Well I will stop here. The rest of the trip (with the exception of checking into the hotel) was much easier...especially when I have Shawn's help. Its a wonder all moms are not insane!

3 comments:

Kim said...

Oh my gosh I got tense and rushed feeling just reading this! You must be crazy;) I'm glad everything else was great. I totally know about trying to get them to stop kicking the chair in front of them... doesn't happen. In the future I will always try and be helpful to mothers traveling bc I've been there and know how they feel. (however I've never been there with 2 kids 2 and 2 1/2 mths, that I would not be brave enough to try)

Taryn said...

I am with Kim I was feeling anxiety just reading too :) I am so glad you can handle that kinda stuff and made it safely! The things we mothers will do for a little vacation ;)

Pam And Scott said...

All Mothers are insane! And it doesn't get any better. Teenage tantrums,and kids who think they know it all! Then when the kids are all grown those mothers think their grandkids are perfect. (pure insanity it is)

Pam